Walt Mankowski on 14 Sep 2015 06:55:50 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Convert ext4 Filenames to FAT-compatible Names

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 07:23:04AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 5:43 AM, Casey Bralla <MailList@nerdworld.org> wrote:
> > I don't care so much about perfect preservation of the file names. Simply
> > dropping the offending characters and shortening the file names in some
> > arbitrary manner would work.
> >
> > Anybody know of a good filename conversion script?
>
> app-misc/detox
> http://detox.sourceforge.net/
>
> I use it occasionally even on ext4 when you download one of those
> files with creative file-naming.  It does have configurable filter
> lists, so you can tune its aggressiveness.  Looks like my list of
> installed filters that came with it are:
> available sequences:
>         default (*)
>         iso8859_1
>         utf_8
>         uncgi
>         lower
>         iso8859_1-only
>         utf_8-only
>         uncgi-only
>         lower-only
>
> For the most part the default is probably fine.  I don't know if it
> does anything about length, but it will git rid of spaces and most
> punctuation, non-ascii, etc.

I was wondering if it might be possible to mount the directory as a
SAMBA share and let it take care of the naming issues.  I have no idea
if that would work though, but if it did maybe you could copy the
files from the share onto the flash drive.

Walt