Rich Freeman on 14 Sep 2015 07:07:25 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Convert ext4 Filenames to FAT-compatible Names

On Mon, Sep 14, 2015 at 9:55 AM, Walt Mankowski <waltman@pobox.com> wrote:

> I was wondering if it might be possible to mount the directory as a
> SAMBA share and let it take care of the naming issues.  I have no idea
> if that would work though, but if it did maybe you could copy the
> files from the share onto the flash drive.

That has the advantage that you're not making a copy and then trying
to sort out what changed and what didn't (with changing mtimes/etc).
Samba will do a deterministic mapping most likely.

But, windows might be able to handle filenames via samba that it can't
handle on FAT32.

This might be an interesting job for a FUSE filesystem as well.  I
think there is one that will dynamically convert flac to mp3, which
was designed for use cases like rsyncing to an mp3 player and such
without keeping two copies of your repository.

--
Rich