Keith C. Perry on 12 Oct 2015 08:36:31 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Video link: "Virtualizing Bare-Metal Systems with QEMU" and meeting bookmarks

On slide 7 on my presentation, I talk about using a file system approach to more efficiently virtualize a system.  One of things you have to do with that method is reinstall the boot information.  I usually do that by booting from a live CD and fix it in virtualization.

Since my method does this against a raw image first, I could do that fix without virtualization but I didn't want to get into too many details there.  The task is simply to "reinstall boot sector" and there are several way to do that.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Owner, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167
www.daotechnologies.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich Freeman" <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net>
To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Monday, October 12, 2015 11:24:22 AM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Video link: "Virtualizing Bare-Metal Systems with QEMU" and meeting bookmarks

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 10:40 AM, Keith C. Perry
<kperry@daotechnologies.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure how many people are familiar with how to use "mount --bind".  It's one of the things I mentioned that was needed for one the approaches to virtualizing a system (i.e. reinstalling boot information) but was out of scope for the talk.  That's probably a good lightening talk item though since its a critical skill generally...

I'd be interested in where you're going with virtualization, but bind
mounts are often critical to containers.  With mount namespaces you
can do a lot of clever things with bind mounts, so that different
processes have different views of the filesystem.

Systemd also can do tricks with mount namespaces as well.  This is
often used for things like private tmp directories, but you can do
quite a bit with this and it all uses bind mounts under the hood.

--
Rich