Keith C. Perry on 23 Oct 2015 11:22:06 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Activating Windows on a laptop (or not)

One of the reasons I used to buy overstock and clearance laptops from Microcenter is that they would be $150 to $200 less than when new.  That gets closer to what the retail version of Windows would cost if people had to purchase it.  $100 off still means they're making some money off of me because of the "Window's tax".

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Owner, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167
www.daotechnologies.com

From: "Lowell Higley" <higleylh@gmail.com>
To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Friday, October 23, 2015 1:57:49 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Activating Windows on a laptop (or not)

If you buy one that doesn't have the option to have Linux preinstalled you have to call them (or chat) and request a quote for your desired laptop with Ubuntu preinstalled.  They can do this with several but not all laptops. Otherwise the cost of windows is built into the price you pay.  I've found that laptops with Ubuntu are generally a $100 cheaper than the same laptop with Windows.