JP Vossen on 23 Oct 2015 12:27:19 -0700

[PLUG] OT: wall warts

OT, but I know some folks on the list know a lot more about electronics
than I do.

I was having a problem with a cordless wet/dry vac not charging, which
turned out to be a bad wall wart.  I didn't think those went bad much,
so it took me a while to figure that out.  I have a drawer full of old
ones, so I pulled that out and started testing with my digital Fluke 73
and at least half of old ones showed a flickering more-or-less nothing.
 Others seemed to be around the nominal expected output

I just double checked 2 of them with an even older analog multi-meter
with the same results.

Am I missing something or doing something stupid?  Is there some way one
would only output under a real load?  Some reason my tester would work
on some but not others?  Or do wall warts just go bad more than I think?
 I know they are cheap but the have no moving parts...

Thanks,
JP