Michael DePaulo on 6 Nov 2015 12:28:58 -0800

Re: [PLUG] [plug-announce] Wed, Nov 4, 2015: PLUG Central - "OpenVPN" by Keith C. Perry (7pm at USP)

Yeah, 3 perfect examples of how AD "Embraced, Extended, and
Extinguished" LDAP and Kerberos, like we were discussing on Wednesday:

1. Replication is not covered by LDAP or Kerberos standards at all. MS
AD has its own way of doing it, just like FreeIPA & 389 Directory Server
have their own ways.

2. The Kerberos PAC
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/openspecification/archive/2009/04/24/understanding-microsoft-kerberos-pac-validation.aspx

In fact, it was so funny when Samba launched 4.0. Experienced Samba
sysadmins were migrating from NT4-style domains to AD-style domains.
Thus they had to learn to log out of their Windows clients and log back
in whenever they added their user accounts to security groups.
Otherwise, the PAC would not be regenerated, and they would get
"permission denied" errors as if they did not belong to the group.

3. The fact that Group Policy (Microsoft's configuration management
since 2000) depends on an SMB client to read the Group Policy Object
(GPO) files. But new domain members (Windows or certain Linux clients)
must read those files in order to apply their security policies as LDAP
and Kerberos clients.

-Mike

On 11/06/2015 02:34 PM, Keith C. Perry wrote:
> Geez, I completely mangled that LOL- Yes, "Embrace, Extend, Extinguish".
>
> It's burned into my brain now!

> Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
> Owner, DAO Technologies LLC
> (O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033