Keith C. Perry on 22 Dec 2015 14:35:03 -0800

Re: [PLUG] ffmpeg slides and cheat sheet

Glad you enjoyed it JP!

I've been swamped today so I haven't have a chance to up the vid but I think I'll take a break to do that.

As a far a conversions, remember, the beauty of ffmpeg is that you generally are telling it what you want to output because ffmpeg can automagically determine the input.  So the 720p60 coding I do for PLUG videos would work for anyone if that is the output they wanted.  Obviously a recording at 30 or 24fps would not benefit from this so you actually could omit the "-r 60" parameter and ffmpeg will retain the frame rate from the source.

I don't have the screencast command line in the slides but here it is:

ffmpeg -f alsa -ac $achans -ar 44100 -i hw:$mic -f x11grab -r 15 -s $size -i :0.0+$offset -f avi -c:a pcm_s16le -c:v mjpeg -q:v 1 $1.avi

where:
$achans  = 2 (my webcam, a Logitech C910, is stereo)
$size = 1980x1080 (the size of the screen I'm recording)
$offset = 0,0 (using the origin since the entire screen is being recorded instead of just a window)
$1 =  the output file name that gets .avi appended

This avi will contain mjpeg video and pcm audio which Cinelerra likes.  Which for me was necessary in case I needed to do any editing. You could encode directly to mp4 but YMMV for either case.  It really depends on your hardware.

Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Owner, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167