Keith C. Perry on 4 Jan 2016 20:45:16 -0800

Re: [PLUG] password safe

Fair points but I was talking this from the standpoint of a Linux user not a solution that is for non-technical or even non-Linux people. LUKS really is for single use cases even though it can manage up to 8 passwords.

For secure group sharing of data I have another solution that adds in all the necessary management abilities.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Owner, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167
www.daotechnologies.com

From: "Lee H. Marzke" <lee@marzke.net>
To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Monday, January 4, 2016 11:02:16 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] password safe

LP is most useful for launching Web sites,  otherwise you can copy/paste the password into an app.

LP Enterprise also allows binary attachments,  so I include a LibraOffice Calc spreadsheet of my clients
DC configuration,  that both of us can access,  even if the DC is down.     This also works with LibraOffice
across Windows / Ubuntu.

LP enterprise is most useful for sharing passwords and URL's amoung a team,    I agree that
simpler solutions may work for a single user.

So for instance if you need to manage passwords that your clients also use,  then this is much more
professional 'looking' system than trying to explain LUKS and other cryptic commands to normal folks.  You
can also prevent them from turning down security options, or force them to use a Yubikey OTP device
at each login,   and it works on Android phones/tablets.

Lee