K.S. Bhaskar on 5 Feb 2016 07:18:03 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Sharing a desktop with Windows Remote Desktop Client

Thanks, Gavin.

This is within a corporate network, so firewall traversal is less a concern. However, to run Teamviewer, I'd have to go through the process of getting it whitelisted with the corporate IT folks, and that would take more effort than I care to expend at the moment. On the other hand, it has Windows RDC, and that does not need whitelisting.

Regards
-- Bhaskar

On Fri, Feb 5, 2016 at 9:33 AM, Gavin W. Burris <bug@wharton.upenn.edu> wrote:
I second Teamviewer.  So easy.  Cross-platform and works through nat / most firewalls.  There is a single exe download available, for when you want to get your non-tech friend's desktop shared with a single download and double-click.  Good luck.

On Thu 02/04/16 05:34PM EST, Chris Norton wrote:
> K.S.
>
> You can always try teamviewer. That has a linux client that works...well.
> The benefit is, they both work well for both OS'es.
>
> On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 5:28 PM, K.S. Bhaskar <bhaskar@bhaskars.com> wrote:
>
> > I have to do a demo for a potential customer on the other side of the
> > world. They have Windows, and can run a remote desktop connection. I have
> > *buntu 15.10. I am able to run xrdp from a Windows 7 64-bit virtual machine
> > to connect to the Linux machine, and I am able to run xfreerdp on Linux to
> > connect to xrdp on my localhost, but I am not able to start a session on
> > one (preferably my local machine) and have the remote desktop on Windows
> > connect to the same session. If I make the ports the same, the second to
> > connect basically just gets a blank screen.
> >
> > Any suggestions to achieve this using xrdp or any other mechanism
> > appreciated. I can run pretty much anything I want on Linux, but the other
> > party is constrained to run Windows.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Regards
> > -- Bhaskar

Gavin W. Burris
Senior Project Leader for Research Computing
The Wharton School
University of Pennsylvania