JP Vossen on 23 Feb 2016 08:02:04 -0800

[PLUG] PuTTY ProxyCommand?

First, thanks to Rich^1 and Jason for a very interesting presentation on Linux containers last night at PLUG W!

Second, we forgot to announce dinner after, so some of the new folks may have missed that. Sorry...we usually go to a local restaurant after meetings. For PLUG W it's "The Office" which is more-or-less across the street from ATS.

Third, at dinner we were talking about the SSH ProxyCommand, and Jeff (IIRC) was wondering how to do that with PuTTY. I've been wondering that myself, I know how to chain proxies using OpenSSH '~/.ssh/config', e.g. to use jump hosts, but it's not clear how to do that using PuTTY, which I may not need again periodically. Anyone have any clues?

Come to think of it, "cool stuff to do with your SSH config" might be an interesting talk.

This is an untested example OpenSSH '~/.ssh/config' from Linux but it's adapted from stuff I'm really doing and works great. So this may not work 100% but should be enough for some useful clues. Note `ssh -vvvv` will display config file processing. Also note the "-W" for ProxyCommand was introduced in OpenSSH 5.4 so older versions (and a LOT of older docs on the Net) use `nc` (NetCat) instead. I find that amusing because the presence of NetCat used to make security auditors heads explode, so using it in SSH is rather ironic.
-----
Host *
    ServerAliveInterval = 100
    ForwardAgent yes
    # OpenSSH v4+
        # http://www.torchbox.com/blog/ssh_tips_2.html
# http://nion.modprobe.de/blog/archives/502-Speeding-up-SSH-ControlMaster.html
        ControlPath ~/.ssh/master-%r@%h:%p
        ControlMaster auto
        ControlPersist 120

# Awesome wild-card shortcut to expand hostnames, except for jump hosts
host *-site1 *-site2 !jh*-*
    HostName %h.example.com

host jh01-site1 jh01-site1.example.com
    HostName 10.10.10.10
    Port 4242
    User fprefect
    IdentityFile ~/.ssh/ford_prefect
    ForwardAgent yes
    Compression yes

host jh01-site2 jh01-site2.example.com
    HostName 10.10.20.10
    Port 4242
    User fprefect
    IdentityFile ~/.ssh/ford_prefect
    ForwardAgent yes
    Compression yes

host someserver-site1
    HostName 10.10.10.76
    ProxyCommand ssh -A -W %h:%p jh01-site1.example.com

host gateway-site3
    HostName 10.10.10.76
    ProxyCommand ssh -A -W %h:%p jh01-site1.example.com

## 2 levels: via GW3 via JH1
host someserver-site3
    HostName 10.10.30.26
    ProxyCommand ssh -A -W %h:%p gateway-site3.example.com
-----

So...how do you do ProxyCommands and chaining in PuTTY?

Later,
JP