Rich Freeman on 22 Mar 2016 13:27:51 -0700

Re: [PLUG] [plug-announce] Mon, Mar 21, 2016: "Gentoo Linux" by Rich Freeman (7pm at ATS in Malvern)

On Sun, Mar 20, 2016 at 11:01 PM, Paul L. Snyder <plsnyder@drexel.edu> wrote:

>> > This month, PLUG West will feature a talk of Gentoo Linux by Rich Freeman.
>> > Rich is a longtime Gentoo developer and PLUG member, and a member of the
>> > Gentoo Council.

Thanks to all who attended, and to those who contributed (I'm glad we
started a bit early - there was a lot of audience participation and we
got to diverge into closely related topics like nethack).

I'm sure a video link will be posted soon.  Slides can be found at:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1rh2hI6F_3jy6Dna3_zk6HfBw1peh-UZYcPZsPPVzfT8/edit?usp=sharing

BTW, Nethack is hardly my favorite roguelike.  I've found both
zangband and tome (tales of middle earth) to be better (just more
featured).  Nethack however is probably best known for having a rather
arcane set of twists built into its logic.  Completing nethack is a
major accomplishment and a demonstration of your ability to
reverse-engineer software as much as anything else.  You can find
numerous playthroughs on youtube, and it looks like a speedrun takes
an hour (and it looks like the guy found a wand of wishing in the
first 30 seconds of play - the game rewards VERY specific wishes).

During the course of the night a few potential talk topics came up,
and I'd encourage somebody to accept any of these:
1. Software Defined Radio - beyond running canned programs (think
building decoders on Gnu Radio or such - perhaps using the cheap DVB
dongles)
2. Roguelike games
3. C API/ABI, sonames, and so on - ie why does that ELF not run, and
were the libressl folks right not to pick a new soname?

Thanks again - I had fun and hopefully everybody learned something!

--
Rich