LOPSA-East '16 on 29 Mar 2016 07:52:19 -0700

[PLUG] LOPSA-East '16 Early Bird Registration extended

The “please fasten you seatbelt sign” is on and LOPSA-NJ is happy to announce that registration for the 2016 LOPSA-East conference is OPEN. Early Bird pricing is a great deal and will be available till March 25th.   We have some great classes and talks this year and we hope you all can join us. There are many discounts that you can find out about at http://lopsaeast.org/2016/lopsa-east-costs/#dis

Our Friday night Keynote will be Tanya Reilly who has been a Site Reliability Engineer at Google since 2005, working on low level infrastructure like distributed locking, load balancing, bootstrapping and monitoring systems. Before Google, she worked as a Systems Administrator at eircom.net, Ireland’s largest ISP, and before that she was the entire IT Department for a small software house. She likes writing Go, building Lego spaceships, and predicting how things will break.”

“Does technical debt turn your small changes into minefields? Does your production environment expect perfect humans? This talk highlights tools, configuration and documentation that set us up for failure. It advocates for removing traps, so that you don’t have to waste brain cycles on remembering where they are. And it offers practical advice for sending your future self (and future coworkers!) gifts, instead of post mortems that just say “human error :-(”.   Includes stories of preventable outages. Bring your schadenfreude.”

We will be announcing some new great things going on later as the conference gets closer. One of the things that was brought up in the feed back from the past few years is a get together on Thursday night for those in the area or arriving early so we will be opening up the bag stuffing party to all. More details on this will be added to the website as the time gets closer. Friday night we will have the Birds-Of-a-Feathers again this year as well as a Cards Against Humanity game for anyone who wants to join and a few more fun things that make LOPSA-East different from other area conferences.

We can’t wait to see you all in May at the LOPSA-East Conference. Remember to reserve your room at the Hyatt Regency New Brunswick at the group rate of $129 single/double plus tax. When the rooms in the LOPSA-East block are sold out, requests will be handled on a space-available basis at the hotel’s standard rate. Make your reservations early! To reserve your room on the web go to https://aws.passkey.com/g/51094713

If you have any questions or ideas you would like to ask or discuses please email me at wbilancio@lopsanj.org.