Gavin W. Burris on 29 Mar 2016 07:57:54 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Swapping motherboards

Hello, Eric.

You'll want to boot from the install media into rescue mode.  That will give a root prompt with the on-disk system mounted under the /mnt/sysimage/ directory.  You should then be able to run something like:

# chroot /mnt/sysimage/
# grub2-install

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/Installation_Guide/sect-rescue-mode.html#sect-rescue-reinstall-grub2

Cheers.

On Tue 03/29/16 10:49AM EDT, Eric H. Johnson wrote:
> All,
>

> I had an Atom motherboard die and replaced it with a slightly later Atom
> board, both dual core and only slightly different in specifications. When I
> try to boot with the new board Grub 2 gives an error to the effect
>

> mkrootdev UUID .  Not found
>

> Followed by a bunch of mount errors. The boot device is a SATA SSD. Is it
> the fact that the UUID of the SATA port has changed? Can I replace it with
> the current UUID, and where would I find it?
>

> The OS is RHEL, not that it ever gets that far.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Eric

Gavin W. Burris
Senior Project Leader for Research Computing
The Wharton School
University of Pennsylvania
Search our documentation: http://research-it.wharton.upenn.edu/about/
Subscribe to the Newsletter: http://whr.tn/ResearchNewsletterSubscribe