Gavin W. Burris on 18 Apr 2016 09:36:44 -0700

Re: [PLUG] >32K concurrent processes

Hi, Bhaskar.

AH, OK.  I should have asked, "What are you trying to accomplish?"  Don't run everything on one box!  Scale horizontally, with at least two user-facing nodes.  You want to engineer in redundancy from square-one.  If you don't, there will be no ability to sanely handle critical patching/updates, or deal with scaling up.

With Grid Engine, that would be two master hosts, and at least two compute nodes actually running the procs, all with an nfs shared cell directory; The secondary master is called the shadow master in Grid Engine-speak.  Grid Engine would be a good solution if you need to run some existing command-line or batch code.

If this is for web, strongly consider having a redundant API endpoint to run functions.  A good way to do this would be with Docker and Swarm.  Docker is a completely different approach, but one that is correct for scaling web applications.

Cheers.