Keith C. Perry on 26 Apr 2016 20:25:33 -0700

Re: [PLUG] disk image one-liner

JP,

I'll give you 3 :)  All based on from the example provided at the bottom of the xfsdump man page.

Assuming I have a 100Gb file system with 14Gb in use mounted at /mnt/vm which is my "source", I could format and mount a 16Gb USB disk on /mnt/flash

and...

xfsdump -J - /mnt/vm | xfsrestore -p 300 -J - /mnt/flash

This would perfectly image the /mnt/vm filesystem to /mnt/flash and show status every 300 seconds.

Only thing left to do is reinstall the boot sectors. :D

But wait, there's more!

XFS is designed to be able to dump live file systems so on a running system, so...

xfsdump -p 300 -J - / | lzop > /mnt/replication/sysvol.xfz

...would dump the root file system, run it though lzop compression and save the file in sysvol.xfz on /mnt/replication.  That location could be an external drive or some other location.  I usually SSHfs mount backup locations for this task when I'm on the same LAN.  If I am pushing data off-LAN or SSHfs isn't available I can always use regular SSH...

xfsdump -p 300 -J - / | lzop | ssh user@remote.server.ip "dd of=/mnt/replication/sysvol.xfz"

BTW, you can also use the xfsrestore program to interactively browse and restore individual files or directories from a compressed dump file :D

I should also say, that this really is file system imaging and not strictly disk imaging but it came up in the context where the terms could be used interchangeably.

Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Owner, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167