Steve Litt on 15 May 2016 13:15:48 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Using ZRAM for swap

On Sun, 15 May 2016 13:40:58 -0400 (EDT)
"Keith C. Perry" <kperry@daotechnologies.com> wrote:

> I have an old Pentium III system with 128Mb of RAM I'm trying to
> redeploy for web browsing and after checking out a number of the
> distros designed for usage on very old hardware, I've decided that I
> like TinyCore the most.

[snip]

> 1) Has anyone built and used a system with 128Mb of RAM and had a
> good modern day web browser experience? If so, what distro did you
> use?

I used Void Linux plus LXDE plus dmenu plus luakit (browser) with
128MB. It could browse simple sites, but something with flash or video
would sink it dead, (keep xkill handy at a hotkey), and you'd better
only run one browser with one or two sites.

If Luakit doesn't work, try otter-browser.

When you install Void, use the CLI network installer. No way is 128
sufficient for a GUI installer or a complete CD installation.

My 128MB setup worked MUCH better when I put another 128MB of
cannibalized sdram into the box. If you can get another 128MB of
compatible RAM, it will greatly enhance your performance: Perhaps you
can watch youtube with it.

I don't know what zram is and didn't use it.

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2016 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21