Steve Litt on 18 May 2016 11:54:05 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Looking for help with Chrome on lubuntu 14.04 trusty i386

On Wed, 18 May 2016 10:26:05 -0400
john boris <jborissr@gmail.com> wrote:

> Rich
> Thanks. The only drawback to the 610 is it ram limitations. I got
> this one from Nonprofit Tecnical in Center City before they closed
> their thrift store. Cost me $160 but it has a 250gb jd and 2gb ram.
> It is light enough for me and has worked great until now

Hi John,

You mentioned that your "Dell Latitude D620 running lubuntu 14.04
i386", and that you need 64 bits for Goto Meeting. What you *didn't*
specify is whether the hardware itself is 32 or 64. I briefly looked up
your machine and didn't find clear info as to its hardware bit width.

Perform an lshw command as root, and under the "cpu" section, read the
property called "width". If it's 64, you can just install a 64 bit OS,
no sweat.

As far as 2GB RAM, that can be useable. I use Void Linux with an
Openbox window manager and dmenu hotkeyed in, and as long as you don't
do stupid stuff like having 10 browser tabs and three windowed
applications open at once, it works fine. Youtube videos, no sweat.
Having never used Goto Meeting, I can't comment on that.

It's worth a look at lshw just to make sure that your machine is truly
obsolete, and not just a little long in the tooth.

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2016 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21