john boris on 18 May 2016 12:04:15 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Looking for help with Chrome on lubuntu 14.04 trusty i386

Steve,
I will do that. I tested the machine today during a session I had with a coworker. I had to download and install chromium to get the GOTO Meeting to work. I had other issues with my headset but I got that working. To make sure it would stay runing I connected to iheartradio.com and streamed a local station for about 90 minutes. Everything was working fine. I closed that session and started chromium and connected to the session and it worked for about 3 minutes. Then the audio started clipping and my output to my coworker started to act up. I finally had to stop it and switch to my Windows Desktop machine to finish the session and get work done.

When I was finished I went back to it and you could fry an egg on the bottom of the unit so there is something wrong with the unit. Again this is a refurbished unit from NonProfit Technology Resources here in the City. You know the 30/30 rule (It will work 30 seconds or 30 feet) But it has served me well handling RDP to work ove the sonicwall VPN,,email and normal functions.

So I think the move to 64bit OS, if possible, will be the way to go. I really like it because of its sixe and weight although I would be much happier with a Mac Air (I am the lone $INUX admin in my department) also my desktop machine was my laptop a Dell M6650 Workstation. That unit was my laptop but the power supply for that monster has its own magnetic field.

Anyway Thanks Steve and I will check that out later.

On Wed, May 18, 2016 at 2:57 PM, Steve Litt <slitt@troubleshooters.com> wrote:
On Wed, 18 May 2016 10:26:05 -0400
john boris <jborissr@gmail.com> wrote:

> Rich
> Thanks. The only drawback to the 610 is it ram limitations. I got
> this one from Nonprofit Tecnical in Center City before they closed
> their thrift store. Cost me $160 but it has a 250gb jd and 2gb ram.
> It is light enough for me and has worked great until now

Hi John,

You mentioned that your "Dell Latitude D620 running lubuntu 14.04
i386", and that you need 64 bits for Goto Meeting. What you *didn't*
specify is whether the hardware itself is 32 or 64. I briefly looked up
your machine and didn't find clear info as to its hardware bit width.

Perform an lshw command as root, and under the "cpu" section, read the
property called "width". If it's 64, you can just install a 64 bit OS,
no sweat.

As far as 2GB RAM, that can be useable. I use Void Linux with an
Openbox window manager and dmenu hotkeyed in, and as long as you don't
do stupid stuff like having 10 browser tabs and three windowed
applications open at once, it works fine. Youtube videos, no sweat.
Having never used Goto Meeting, I can't comment on that.

It's worth a look at lshw just to make sure that your machine is truly
obsolete, and not just a little long in the tooth.

SteveT

Steve Litt
May 2016 featured book: Rapid Learning for the 21st Century
http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21

John J. Boris, Sr.