Andrew Libby on 24 Aug 2016 08:59:36 -0700

Re: [PLUG] epiphany or stupidity?

Classic deduplication problem.  Many backup solutions (and even
filesystems) provide dedup.  I believe Bacula does these days, and
it's been something BackuPPC has does.

A smart idea, I guess I'd say the work is in figuring out how to
implement it well, tracking what's the same across systems and
then devising a restore process that leverages a single copy of
what's common.

I've run several installs of backuppc, and the dedup for homogeneous
environments is pretty impressive.

Andy