Tone Montone on 24 Aug 2016 08:56:09 -0700

[PLUG] epiphany or stupidity?

I was running last night, and for some reason, I had an idea about backups.  It occurred to me that if I had 100 Red Hat systems, all running the same OS and Patch level, would I need full backups on all the systems.  Wouldn't there be static information like executables that would be the same across all systems?  So instead of doing fulls x 100, I could do a full x 1, then just differentials or incrementals on the others, thereby reducing total storage required on tapes.

Then I thought if I took the same idea and applied it to the SAN storage, could I have fixed images that the systems run on, and only require 1 instance of it, thereby reducing total storage space requirements.

Then I thought, either this is a really stupid idea, or it's brilliant and most likely already done.

Comments?

Thanks,

Mike