Tone Montone on 24 Aug 2016 08:56:09 -0700
[Date Prev] [Date Next] [Thread Prev] [Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]
[PLUG] epiphany or stupidity?
- From: Tone Montone <email@example.com>
- To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: [PLUG] epiphany or stupidity?
- Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2016 11:56:04 -0400
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:from:date:message-id:subject:to; bh=sOLGiBQWwsHon8j3Y8ubrka12ASrGCH0YcXNlt/5cIU=; b=wUPR+pjeDnkc3rZsuqPSJahiAeuDEr+Z4I59qA826edWRbVxVvD8W2cqN7eVJ/biy5 Y9tfPCJ1Q1vHLuTKK1sROtrJDywIqHkdY5Inm43ojho+DXq0f23TrbEFm9VeSI+6qDXW InlYTvmEw4rOlbV9dDFajymsZSuHvJ6k5IpzXr6KJCe7455uCm5QKE2KonC7lBf9MAUa 7wFh2E1Z3W3BHSU4iISwQgaYN03H3PsL7En/gHQnakV0s/+iu77dr9N2djdp7iOpdLAZ cphKI9AMgWbBJQigea3S56GqC7laJbuF4i7AnhTSSWKryuWpQIYgbwIF+LMzA0BHqFIL sE1A==
- Reply-to: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <email@example.com>
- Sender: "plug" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
I was running last night, and for some reason, I had an idea about backups. It occurred to me that if I had 100 Red Hat systems, all running the same OS and Patch level, would I need full backups on all the systems. Wouldn't there be static information like executables that would be the same across all systems? So instead of doing fulls x 100, I could do a full x 1, then just differentials or incrementals on the others, thereby reducing total storage required on tapes.
Then I thought if I took the same idea and applied it to the SAN storage, could I have fixed images that the systems run on, and only require 1 instance of it, thereby reducing total storage space requirements.
Then I thought, either this is a really stupid idea, or it's brilliant and most likely already done.
Philadelphia Linux Users Group -- http://www.phillylinux.org
Announcements - http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug-announce
General Discussion -- http://lists.phillylinux.org/mailman/listinfo/plug