brent timothy saner on 24 Aug 2016 09:04:32 -0700

Re: [PLUG] epiphany or stupidity?

On 08/24/2016 11:59 AM, Andrew Libby wrote:

> Classic deduplication problem.  Many backup solutions (and even
> filesystems) provide dedup.  I believe Bacula does these days, and
> it's been something BackuPPC has does.
>
> A smart idea, I guess I'd say the work is in figuring out how to
> implement it well, tracking what's the same across systems and
> then devising a restore process that leverages a single copy of
> what's common.
>
> I've run several installs of backuppc, and the dedup for homogeneous
> environments is pretty impressive.
>
> Andy

speaking of deduplication, check out borg[0].

i've found i like it a lot more than the other ones i've tried, and the
deduping and compression i've seen with it is pretty impressive.

[0] https://borgbackup.readthedocs.io/en/stable/