Andrew Libby on 24 Aug 2016 09:16:03 -0700

Re: [PLUG] epiphany or stupidity?

If you're going to consider backuppc, there are some things I've
experienced along the way that were problematic.

* At one point at least there were path limitations in btrfs, IIRC. For
  that reason we stuck with ext4.

* rsync, the usual choice for underlying transport has a small fixed
  size ram overhead per file.  All of the file data is loaded into
  memory for hard-link deduplication at the client (reduces network
  i/o).  If you've got a system that has many many small files, you'll
  need more ram on your backuppc server, and possibly the client.

  On mail servers using maildir this became an issue for us.

Andy