Keith C. Perry on 24 Aug 2016 11:20:34 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Installling rpm file on Raspberry Pi

I would if it would be worth opening that rpm up and seeing whats inside?

Its not going to help with an RPi installation but maybe you could make do this on a Fitlet (http://www.fit-pc.com/web/products/fitlet/) or SolidPC (https://www.solid-run.com/intel-braswell-family/solidpc-q4-carrier-board/).

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Owner, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033
(M) +1.215.432.5167
www.daotechnologies.com

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rich Freeman" <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net>
To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 24, 2016 2:14:48 PM
Subject: Re: [PLUG] Installling rpm file on Raspberry Pi

On Wed, Aug 24, 2016 at 1:32 PM, john boris <jborissr@gmail.com> wrote:
> I replied there but I did find a page explaining the alien software which
> led to find out I need i386 rpms. It is always an adventure. ;-)

Yeah, you're not going to be installing i386 rpms on a Raspberry Pi,
unless they're just marked as such but contain nothing but
scripts/java or other noarch content.  i386 binaries will not run on
ARM without emulation (which you're not going to want to do on ARM!).

You can probably use tools to extract an rpm into its component files
and manually install them, but it is clunky.  If your Pi wants .deb
files then it probably has a package manager, just not rpm-based.

I feel your pain, I use Gentoo so whatever packages you find online
will almost never work without wrappers of some kind...  :)

--
Rich