Rich Freeman on 12 Sep 2016 07:39:18 -0700

Re: [PLUG] do no evil

On Mon, Sep 12, 2016 at 9:51 AM, TD <delrue.thomas@gmail.com> wrote:
> No, you are wrong, Google will steer you towards those companies that
> generate /them/ the most revenue, not those that will solve your problem.

Sure, but if they're completely useless, that won't generate them a
lot of revenue.

They could have had search results that were primary ad-driven for a
LONG time if they wanted to.  Instead they deliver results that are
useful.  I'm sure ads influence which of the useful results gets the
highest priority, but they won't keep their place in the internet food
chain by making their software less useful.

No argument that there is a slippery slope here, and given another
generation or two of executive leadership Google may start to slide
down it, but at the moment they seem to be doing fairly well.
Hopefully by the time they do have their fall privacy will be such a
forgotten concept that it will be a moot point.

--
Rich