Rich Freeman on 14 Sep 2016 11:04:23 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Replacement mailing list idea

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 1:53 PM, K.S. Bhaskar <bhaskar@bhaskars.com> wrote:
> I realize PLUG is for do-it-yourself-ers, but why not set up a Google Group
> (or a Yahoo Group, or…). It's less work, we're not dependent on an
> individual, and searching past discussions is easier.

Along these lines, has anybody actually used Discourse?  I've heard it
talked about as a mailing list / Google Groups replacement, and it is
supposedly FOSS:

https://www.discourse.org/about/

My understanding is that you can use it like a mailing list, or a
forum, with most of the advantages of each.  However, I've never
actually used it, so I don't know if it has any downsides.  It sounds
like they also sell a hosted version of it, and I wouldn't be
surprised if they're willing to do something for FOSS communities but
I have not made any inquires/etc.

--
Rich