Rich Freeman on 14 Sep 2016 13:03:14 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Replacement mailing list idea

On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 2:04 PM, Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 14, 2016 at 1:53 PM, K.S. Bhaskar <bhaskar@bhaskars.com> wrote:
>> I realize PLUG is for do-it-yourself-ers, but why not set up a Google Group
>> (or a Yahoo Group, or…). It's less work, we're not dependent on an
>> individual, and searching past discussions is easier.
>>

> Along these lines, has anybody actually used Discourse?  I've heard it
> talked about as a mailing list / Google Groups replacement, and it is
> supposedly FOSS:
>
> https://www.discourse.org/about/
>
> My understanding is that you can use it like a mailing list, or a
> forum, with most of the advantages of each.  However, I've never
> actually used it, so I don't know if it has any downsides.  It sounds
> like they also sell a hosted version of it, and I wouldn't be
> surprised if they're willing to do something for FOSS communities but
> I have not made any inquires/etc.

So, uh, along these lines, what do people think of going along a route
like Discourse?

Or is it basically a done decision that we're sticking with a
traditional mailing list and the only important consideration is where
to host it?

--
Rich