JP Vossen on 14 Sep 2016 16:21:45 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Replacement mailing list idea

It seems to me that we have 2 problems, and a number of solutions. The problems are:
1) The mailing list & archives (which I, for one, think is critical)
2) The rest of the PLUG web site

If we need to get off of MCT's infrastructure, I'd think both/all parts need to move. And many thanks to him for all this time!

So for me personally:

-100K for Google or Yahoo or anything like that

+1 Rich Kulawiec maillist (and I like super-set LUG idea, but...scope for now...)

+1 for a Linode; as others have pointed out they are local, and responsive and generally great, AND at least a few of us on this list already use them BECAUSE of this list & PLUG/Fosscon, so... This would host "the rest of it," and could host the mailing list if something fell through.

or +0.5 for Digital Ocean (.5 only because of the previous Linode notes, D.O. is in NYC and thus local-ish, and I love their docs. But I have a Linode... :)

Rich Kulawiec's comments about spam problems are well founded, though I run my mail relay on my Linode and am not aware of any problems...but it's also not a list server.

Failing the above, I'd trust Lee or Keith's infrastructure, if we wanted to go that route.

My $0.02...