Steve Litt on 11 Oct 2016 23:14:19 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Linux laptop

On Tue, 11 Oct 2016 23:33:15 -0400
Paul Walker <pjwalker76@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, please troll me for saying so, but I just can't justify the
> cost of a new macbook pro. I have gotten pretty spoiled though - they
> work pretty well out of the box.
>
> But. Mine has finally shit the bed and I'm looking to replace it with
> a linux machine that meets the following criteria:
>
> durable case / body / ports- I ride my bike everywhere and bring my
> computer with  me

Ouch!

My impression that somewhere between 2006 and 2010, laptops
transitioned from beefy little bricks to skinny little glassine shells.
For durability's sake, I might take a 2009 computer (hopefully one with
SATA), drop in your 300G SSD, and use it.

A lot of people mentioned Dell refurb. If you can find one with the old
screen geometry, one that's an inch thick, it might serve you very well.

Incidentally, if it hadn't been for your riding it around on your bike,
I'd have answered this question very differently.

SteveT

Steve Litt
September 2016 featured book: Twenty Eight Tales of Troubleshooting
http://www.troubleshooters.com/28