Rich Kulawiec on 21 Oct 2016 10:52:47 -0700

Re: [PLUG] spamassassin help: create a rule to score by sender TLD

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 12:43:22PM -0400, Keith C. Perry wrote:
> "I agree with the first bit: don't publish your e-mail address in a form
> that is understandable by machines (see caveat below).

This has been obsolete advice for over a decade.  It's now folklore,
not sound operational practice.  You should assume that spammers already
have any/all email addresses and plan defenses accordingly -- because
even if they don't, they will soon.  Please read, in full, these messages
where I explain this in considerable depth:

	http://www.firemountain.net/pipermail/novalug/2014-July/041213.html
	http://www.firemountain.net/pipermail/novalug/2014-August/041230.html

As an addendum, let me point out that since I wrote those messages, we
have seen one massive email provider compromise after another -- most
recently, 500M+ accounts at Yahoo.  Of course all the former owners of
those accounts are the "Fred" I discuss in the second message above,
and they join all the other Freds from all the other mass email provider
account compromises we've seen in the past few years.

---rsk