ac on 24 Oct 2016 13:36:58 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Postscreen (another tool for helping to minimize the effect of spam)

On Mon, 24 Oct 2016 16:25:18 -0400 (EDT)
"Keith C. Perry" <kperry@daotechnologies.com> wrote:

> Two questions...
>
> 1) "higher overhead"
>
> In terms of what specifically.  Memory, cpu, etc...  I can't see a
> whitelist cheap being that intensive relative to the full check the
> main mail server does.

in terms of throughput, if you have to do X  (eg dns lookup)  before
doing Y, and what your throughput is. Some mail clusters handles
millions of emails, etc. etc

> 2) "...somewhat less effective these days as bots also deal with
> delays now."
>
> When you say "deal with",  How so?  Postscreen sounds like it does
> for mail what my iptables rule do for my entire net- that is to say,
> prevent spammers from over running the server.  I guessing the
> Postscreen delay is configurable but are you saying there is some way
> around that?

okay, no. postscreen has many cool features, start using it on your
email cluster and see, you can score (weigh) rbl and many cool things

the delays - spam as everyone knows, comes from many different sources.
The source that postscreen was really good at defending, the botnets
was mostly due to the delay happening at the end/last but the bots have
become more sophisticated and these days they spawn/wait/come back
some of these new bots & controllers are tracked here:
http://spamid.net

anyway, if you are running one email server (singular) it is not all that
useful so much, I guess. but as with our previous discussions, do not
let the technical stuff bother you, it is your server, so do as you like :)

Andre