Keith C. Perry on 24 Oct 2016 14:33:34 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Postscreen (another tool for helping to minimize the effect of spam)

<side point>

FYI, It is not necessary to include the sender's email and the list address on a response- the OP  will get two messages.  The list address is all you need.  Thanks in advance...

</side point>

"in terms of throughput, if you have to do X  (eg dns lookup)  before
doing Y, and what your throughput is. Some mail clusters handles
millions of emails, etc. etc"

That doesn't quite make sense.  The DNS lookups are going to get cached.  In the case of Zimbra, postfix and postscreen are on the same node so the the greater processing penalty is with postfix since it has to do the blocklist and other checks.  Although...

(from http://www.postfix.org/POSTSCREEN_README.html)

"For each connection from an SMTP client, postscreen(8) performs a number of tests in the order as described below. Some tests introduce a delay of a few seconds. postscreen(8) maintains a temporary whitelist for clients that pass its tests; by allowing whitelisted clients to skip tests, postscreen(8) minimizes its impact on legitimate email traffic."

and...

"Before engaging in SMTP-level tests. postscreen(8) queries a number of local black and whitelists. These tests speed up the handling of known clients."

I see, the penalty is in the SMTP level check. Inter-process communication via TCP sockets isn't going to be the fastest but that's rather high- this is definitely something be mindful of.

"anyway, if you are running one email server (singular) it is not all that
useful so much, I guess. but as with our previous discussions, do not
let the technical stuff bother you, it is your server, so do as you like"

LOL, right... because technical conversation on a technical list- that's weird

'Appreciate the feedback, thanks.

Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Owner, DAO Technologies LLC
(O) +1.215.525.4165 x2033