Rich Kulawiec on 28 Oct 2016 06:05:07 -0700

Re: [PLUG] printing

On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 08:16:44AM -0400, jeff wrote:
> I know HP plays nice, driverwise.

Well, except for the part where they deliberately cripple printers by
using delayed-activation DRM code:

	HP Launched Delayed DRM Time Bomb To Disable Competing Printer Cartridges
	https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160920/07021035568/hp-launched-delayed-drm-time-bomb-to-disable-competing-printer-cartridges.shtml

I'm using a Brother at the moment and it plays nice with Linux -- although
it does have a nagging issue with the wireless network.  (To wit: if the
wireless router is rebooted, the printer apparently does not attempt to
renegotiate a connection.  There doesn't appear to be a way to force it to
do so via the front panel, so the only option at that point appears to be
to reboot the printer -- at which point it connects successfully.  I haven't
invested any time in diagnosing this, because the problem doesn't show up
often and the fix is easy, so I can't definitively say it's a Brother
problem...but that printer is the only device exhibiting this issue,
so I rather suspect that it is.)

---rsk