JP Vossen on 28 Oct 2016 07:36:27 -0700

Re: [PLUG] printing

On 10/28/2016 10:24 AM, Lee H. Marzke wrote:
On the other hand, I've had good luck with Brother All-in-one's.   But I
use it for scanning, copying,  faxing,  etc as well.

I had a Brother MFC-9840-CDW color laser last for 5 years ,  and it kept
working but the print quality gradually went down over the years.
Next I got a Brother MFC-L8840-CDW which is basically the same with many
mechanical parts replaced with electronics.  All the
buttons on front are now a touchscreen, the two sided scanner
contraption was replaced with a single-pass dual side imager,  and it's
also working fine with Ubuntu.    I always disable Wifi on these and
hardwire them.     What is also nice is the scan to email,  or
scan to fax.   The fax works  with Vitelity over the Internet, so no
phone line required.   For thick media  it has an optional straight path
through the unit so card stock isn't curled when printing.

The  Brother debian driver package supports printing,  scanning to xsane
so you can use  gimp with xscan can pick up the image.  And
even lpr printing is supported.   Many of the lower Brother models
aren't as well supported under Linux, you have to be careful.

The only downside is that these units are Huge,  and heavy and two
people required to move it.
Also good paper is required to keep from mucking it up.  ( never inkjet
paper )
Lee

Yes, everything Lee said except I'm still using the MFC-9840-CDW. I've only ever been able to get the 32-bit drivers to work, which is a mild PITA.

Later,
JP