Rich Freeman on 12 Nov 2016 13:45:55 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Gentoo

On Sat, Nov 12, 2016 at 4:31 PM, Robert <mlists@zoominternet.net> wrote:
> So I finally installed Gentoo on my desktop.  Was wondering if anyone
> using Gentoo could help me with ensuring that my make.conf is optimally
> setup for my system?

Offhand you're probably fine with that.  I'm sure there are more
aggressive optimizations you could enable, though they probably would
have marginal results.

I bet that in the Gentoo forums you'd probably find something more
tailored to your specific CPU, but again there isn't a lot of gain in
that.  -O2 or -Os tend to be fairly optimal all-around.

I haven't touched this in ages so I bet some of this is now part of
-O2, but I'm using:
CFLAGS="-march=amdfam10 -Os -pipe -frename-registers -fweb
-freorder-blocks -freorder-blocks-and-partition -funit-at-a-time
-ftree-pre -fgcse-sm -fgcse-las -fgcse-after-reload
-fmerge-all-constants -ftree-vectorize -ftree-parallelize-loops=4
-mabm -msse4a -fstack-protector"

CXXFLAGS="-march=amdfam10 -Os -pipe -frename-registers -fweb
-freorder-blocks -funit-at-a-time -ftree-pre -fgcse-sm -fgcse-las
-fgcse-after-reload -fmerge-all-constants -ftree-vectorize
-ftree-vectorize -ftree-parallelize-loops=4 -mabm -msse4a
-fstack-protector"

I used to use LTO but that became too problematic.  Some of the flags
above can trigger the odd bug and I have a bunch of exceptions in
/etc/portage/env.

--
Rich