Steve Litt on 18 Dec 2016 13:54:35 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Wanted: volunteers with bandwidth, storage, coding skills to help save climate data

The sequence of this thread is telling. Rich Kulawiec offered some info
and a mailing list for those who want to preserve the data in case it's
later destroyed. It didn't attempt to persuade anyone to change their
mind about anything. I presume he posted it here because people on this
list are likely to have a lot of disk space they know how to back up and
preserve.

One would think there would be two possible responses to Rich's post:
Either sign up on his mailing list and try to help, or ignore it and
move on.

But nooooooo. Person after person lined up to proclaim that there's no
need for worry, stating opinions as facts, or voicing just plain
ad-hominums. What is the make and model of their crystal ball? What is
their motivation in arguing with a call for volunteers? Why were there
any replies, *on this list*, to Rich's call for volunteers? Why argue
with him? Why not let him have his post and move on?

And finally, may I point out that history is littered with carnage that
started with people saying "it can't happen here."

SteveT