Will on 18 Dec 2016 13:56:53 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Wanted: volunteers with bandwidth, storage, coding skills to help save climate data

This topic needs to be dropped all together. But I'll answer Paul's questions:

 Are these large data sets vulnerable? : Not the slightest. NOAA has multiples of the data not to mention that the data is open to other corporations that are doing white paper analysis of all academic findings (confirmed with many friends working for agricultural programs in Iowa, Minnesota, Missouri, and Illinois without having companies mentioned).

Deleting and skewing the data to skew the debate on climate change? : Not going to be touched at all. The same data that is used for creating more accurate system models is also used for climate data. Messing with the data imposes economic and strategic disadvantages. Also if you watch the debate, the arguments is whether or not "if" climate change exists but whether or not it is man made or at the very least "substantially human influenced".

Doesn't it make sense to have the strongest data redundancy possible in place for irreplaceable data that has been gathered over decades by scientists, satellites, the noaa, etc. Is it paranoid to think that this body of knowledge is extremely valuable and potentially vulnerable? :  The nature of scientist replicating the studies means that the data is redundant already. I know where I work we are sitting on a 100 PB at least. I know there are other organizations from private companies that rely on the same data that have stores equal two or near 1 Exabyte. Given the call for help and concerning bandwidth, there is no way any effort to back up this data on personal machines in anyway is going to be 1) successful 2) get done before the day of suspected doom (which all signs point to Trump actually saying he's concerned about the environment). 3) private companies have backed up this public data and have it available upon request as they too benefit from the collaborative nature of the scientific community. 4) Everyone downloading this data is going to disrupt the science going on already since the data sets for a single years worth (pending model) is in the 10's of terabytes, the scientists need their bandwidth to do their work.

Are there technical solutions that our community could be a part of to help ensure that these collective resources are not endangered by sharp political swings or other unforseen circumstances? : Uhm... yeah, we have 3 PLUG members doing just that. I'll let you know from a technology end if I need help relaying in better words the need for better support of IT. In case nobody has noticed, the government pretty much has a policy of never throwing away data. Also there is enough storage on the dedicated network that is shared by Argonne National Labs, Oak Ridge Laboratory, and some other labs (both academic, commercial, and government) have available to them. If you really wish to help, get out your check book and prepare to store over half an exabyte from any particular source.

Source: I'm one of the three PLUG members currently on site at a NOAA facility that does most of the climate research.

-Will C