Eric H. Johnson on 18 Dec 2016 15:22:54 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Wanted: volunteers with bandwidth, storage, coding skills to help save climate data

Here is an approach for using blockchain technology for storing large distributed datasets with the added benefit of assuring that the data has not been tampered with:

https://letstalkbitcoin.com/blog/post/real-big-data-ht-leverage-bitcoin-blockchains-for-unlimited-storage

Regards,
Eric

On December 18, 2016 4:29:28 PM EST, Paul Walker <pjwalker76@gmail.com> wrote:
Can we steer the conversation back to the topic at hand? I am curious about the possibility of large amounts of "controversial" data being sequestered or destroyed. Certainly the liquidation of entire classes of data (and of human technical talent) has been undertaken before in the name of political expediency. I'm thinking of Argentina, Iran, etc. I'm curious given the particular skill-set of our group what people's opinions are regarding the plausibility of such a thing happening -- politically yes, but also technically. Are these large data sets vulnerable? Assuming there is a massive interest in skewing the conversation about climate change, does it not seem at least plausible that someone would undertake to modify, corrupt or delete the underlying data, whether they were state actors, unaligned and anonymous hackers, corporate interests or others? Doesn't it make sense to have the strongest data redundancy possible in place for irreplaceable data that has been gathered over decades by scientists, satellites, the noaa, etc. Is it paranoid to think that this body of knowledge is extremely valuable and potentially vulnerable? Are there technical solutions that our community could be a part of to help ensure that these collective resources are not endangered by sharp political swings or other unforseen circumstances?

On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 2:37 PM, Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
On Sun, Dec 18, 2016 at 1:16 PM, Alex Ruijie Fang <frjalex@temple.edu> wrote:

> I agree with Eric's view. On another viewpoint, the first amendment also somewhat guaranteed our rights to reveal who we voted for, if necessary.

Kinda, sort-of.  Certainly anybody can say that they voted for
somebody, but the integrity of the election system actually depends on
not being able to prove it.

--
Rich