Chris Knowles on 6 Jan 2017 13:09:34 -0800

Re: [PLUG] XKCD: Team Chat

I feel obligated to mention the idea of an IRC bouncer, like ZNC[1]

You run this on some always on box - it connects to IRC for you and then connect your client to it - and it hands you teh "while you were away" backlog.

You'll still need an always on box somewhere - but who doesn't have one of those at this point?

CJK

[1] http://wiki.znc.in/ZNC

On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 4:04 PM, Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 3:49 PM, Andrew Libby <andrew.libby@gmail.com> wrote:

> The major value I think is that it's turn key and has integrations
> with all kinds of stuff like continuous integration, monitoring,
> task managers like trello, etc.

That, and it is like IRC except you get a backlog that includes times
when you weren't connected.  And it supports multimedia and formatting
in posts (think /code and such) vs the use of pastebins or having each
line go out as a separate post mixed with who knows what.  And you can
edit/etc the past.

A bit like a merger of IRC and a forum.

Personally I'm not wowed, but it does seem silly for everybody to run
an IRC client 24x7 to create a personal channel log just so that they
can see what happened while they were otherwise offline.  Addition of
some of these features to IRC would go a long way, and of course there
are things like Matrix which provide a more slack-like experience but
with a more distributed setup.

--
Rich