Charlie Li on 3 Mar 2017 09:58:45 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Laptop recommendations

On 03/03/17 12:23, christopher barry wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Mar 2017 12:15:22 -0500
> Greg Helledy wrote:
>> If you buy the Windows computer, there are two good ways to deal with
>> it.  Steve's way is to shrink the Windows partition as much as
>> possible, until the warranty expires and you can blow it away.  What
>> I did was buy the computer with the smallest drive offered, then buy
>> the drive I really wanted from a different vendor, swap them out, and
>> install linux on the big drive.  When the warranty expires, I'll sell
>> the drive it was shipped with, which still has a clean Win 10 install
>> on it.
>>

> One issue that may arise when trying to sell W10 on the disk is it may
> not work on a machine from another vendor.

I believe the Windows preload's product key is actually tied to the
motherboard of the machine it was sold in. So yes, this will pretty much
certainly be an issue, not only on machines from another vendor, but
even a different machine of the same *model* from the same vendor.

--
Charlie Li
Can't think of a witty .sigline today…

replace local-part with vishwin for off-list communication)