Steve Litt on 3 Mar 2017 22:29:31 -0800

Re: [PLUG] Laptop recommendations

On Fri, 3 Mar 2017 12:39:11 -0500
LeRoy <ldc@lrcressy.com> wrote:

> One of the things I would make sure what chipset the laptop has and
> its compatibility with Linux.  There are numerous chipsets that are a
> bear to make a Linux boot loader work.  I ran across this when I
> bought an ACAR Laptop with a UEFI chipset that I had to work around to
> make Linux boot without using a Sandisk flash drive.  In other words
> watch out for Chipsets like Insydeh20.  There are a lot sites about
> others having problems with this version of BIOS.

UEFI is an abominable assault on modularity and encapsulation, and is
increasing the resale value of old computers that still run MBR. And of
course if there's Secure Boot you can't turn off...

SteveT

Steve Litt
February 2017 featured book: Thriving in Tough Times
http://www.troubleshooters.com/thrive