Greg Helledy on 8 Mar 2017 10:44:59 -0800

Re: [PLUG] network drive doesn't mount on boot after update--how to check why?

On 3/8/2017 1:09 PM, Carl Johnson wrote:
What does "mount -a" do after you unmou t?

Mounts it instantly.

/var/log/messages or /var/log/boot.log probably has some useful stuff in
there

I found this in /var/log/messages:

Mar  6 15:49:23 filegate systemd: Mounting /media/networkdrive...

Mar  6 15:50:53 filegate systemd: media-networkdrive.mount mounting timed out. Stopping.
Mar  6 15:50:53 filegate systemd: Mounted /media/networkdrive.
Mar  6 15:50:53 filegate kernel: CIFS VFS: cifs_mount failed w/return code = -512
Mar  6 15:50:53 filegate systemd: Reached target Remote File Systems.

I did a search for "cifs_mount failed w/return code = -512" and while I couldn't find out what exactly return code -512 means, I did find someone suggest the mount option "_netdev". From the man page:

_netdev
    The filesystem resides on a device that requires network access (used to prevent the system from attempting to mount these filesystems until the network has been enabled on the system).

Apparently the updates changed something with the relative orders of mounting drives and network access coming up, so that the system was trying to mount the drive before the LAN was ready. Adding that option in fstab fixed the issue.

Thank you!

--
Greg Helledy
GRA, Incorporated