Rich Kulawiec on 16 Mar 2017 07:26:47 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Avoid Arvixe at all costs!

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 10:03:49AM -0400, Douglas Muth wrote:
> 2) Getting an IP address that's not on spam blacklists is a real challenge
> in this day and age.  Also, queuing up (and retying) emails locally will
> consume CPU and disk space.  I recommend sending your emails through Amazon
> SES (Simple Email Service).  It'll avoid a lot of headaches.

First, getting an IP address that's not blacklisted isn't hard *provided*
you perform a little due diligence.  Anyone who doesn't know how to do
this shouldn't even be considering running a mail server.

Second, I have no idea why you think queueing/retrying email will be
an issue, given (a) nearly all recipient mail systems accept or refuse,
very few defer modulo transient DNS issues and (b) the resources required
to handle even a very large mail queue are minimal.

Third, NO, do NOT try using Amazon SES, as it's such a massive source
of spam that a lot of people -- including me -- consider it a best practice
to not merely reject email from it, but to firewall it out.   Amazon
has made it abundantly clear that they're perfectly happy to host
spammers and facilitate their activities, while doing everything they
can to ignore abuse reports.

---rsk