Steve Litt on 17 Mar 2017 08:54:46 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Avoid Arvixe at all costs!

On Fri, 17 Mar 2017 10:19:26 -0400
Rich Freeman <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:

> An earlier email mentioned git.  Git is great for some things, but
> keep in mind that you can't delete stuff and it is designed for text
> files.

That was me :-)

> I wouldn't be using it as a normal backup solution for
> arbitrary data.

Nor would I. I mentioned git only in reference to very short term
backups of specific projects that I modified today.

> It is a great thing to set up in /etc, and there are
> tools like etckeeper which provide hooks for your package manager to
> automatically create commits for you when it goes touching stuff in
> /etc.

I tend not to back up my OS, but only data I can't reinstall or
repurchase: In other words, data created by me. I might revisit that
stance later. My current policy is that if I hose my OS that much, I'll
reinstall from scratch. What I *do* back up besides data I created are:

* /etc/fstab
* Output of mount command
* List of packages manually installed
* Output of lsblk showing partition sizes and dev names
* First 512 bytes of /dev/sda1

I might soon move to full bare metal backups, but for now, this is how
I do it.

SteveT

Steve Litt
March 2017 featured book: Troubleshooting: Why Bother?
http://www.troubleshooters.com/twb