Casey Bralla on 27 Mar 2017 21:06:37 -0700

[PLUG] [Solved] Need Troubleshooting Help for Flashing Screen

Thanks to all for the excellent advice.  I have been able to resolve the
issue.

Steve Shim's suggestion abut a bad a hard drive was a good one because the
live system would not have used the hard drive.   I ran all teh SMART disk
tests, and even ran the TRIM command, but unfortunately, this did not fix the
problem.

Joe Rosato's bug reports do seem to be the same thing I experienced.

Lee Marzke and Steve Litt both had a great insight about the home configuration
files being damaged,   I didn't try using LXDE as Steve suggested, but it would
have worked because the KDE configuration files were somehow damaged.  I renamed
all the ~/. config files and then restarted KDE.   Immedately, it all worked.

BTW, thanks to Steve Litt for the troubleshouting e-book download at
http://www.troubleshooters.com/twb

So to summarize, the fix was to completely recreate the KDE configuration files
by deleting all the ~/. files that KDE uses.

Casey

--

Casey Bralla