Rachel Rawlings on 6 Apr 2017 09:50:46 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Canonical dropping Unity

Rich hit it on the nose with the kde 3->4 transition. I'd also been a kde user until that point.

I actually wonder more how people like my wife, who came from a Mac background, will handle the transition. I'd started her off with mint/cinnamon and she hated it because it was too Windows-like. Unity was perfect for her.

On Apr 6, 2017 12:22 PM, "Rich Freeman" <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 6, 2017 at 12:12 PM, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:

> I have to admit I haven't used KDE in many years, but when it tried it it
> was: OMG my eyes are bleeding, make it stop!  There is too much going on and
> too many things to configure (I know, the opposite of my whining about
> Gnome3).

Honestly, I haven't really felt the need to configure all that much in
KDE.  Sure, it has a ton of options, but I try to just stick with the
defaults as much as I can.

For a while I was on xfce, and that was generally fine.  However, once
in a while I missed little things in KDE, like being able to use
fish:// in a file manager window.  I also like being able to pull up a
shell in dolphin (the shell shows up in another pane at the bottom and
it follows the same $PWD as the graphical file manager, so you can
just switch back and forth from drag/drop activities to command line).

That said, I mainly use KDE for the window manager and basic desktop
environment.  I don't use koffice or many of the other features.
Before I switched almost entirely to gmail I did like kmail, but the
whole akodani thing turned me off of that a bit.  I also like that it
isn't that hard to disable akodani/baloo on Gentoo.  I hear it is a
lot better than it used to be (I'm not sure if I even have it disabled
at this point), but back in the day it seemed like it thrashed the
disks constantly.

One of the bigger pains with KDE in general is that they tend to
abandon the old thing before the new thing is really working.  In
fact, the abandoning of kde3 was part of what drove me to xfce for a
while until kde4 was usable on my hardware (probably more akodani).
Plasma has been around for a while but there are still a number of
applications which are still stuck in kde4 land, which means you're
still dealing with the old dependencies if you maintain a distro.  It
is relatively seamless to the user, assuming the distro is doing the
work needed to cope with all of this.

--
Rich