Rich Freeman on 13 Apr 2017 10:14:06 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Wireless hotspot with inbound ssh/vpn

On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 12:06 PM, K.S. Bhaskar <bhaskar@bhaskars.com> wrote:

> I realize I can work around the limitation by using a machine in the cloud,
> and having a machine in the office establish a connection to that machine
> with something like ssh port forwarding to allow someone to connect to the
> cloud machine and then connect back to the office. But entering into a
> competition with Rube Goldberg at this stage in the company's existence
> seems a bit premature.

A similar (but perhaps slightly less rube-goldbergish) option might be
a VPN that allows port forwarding and is reasonably compatible with
dynamic DNS or which offers a static IP.  Depending on how that works
it might also give you more connection stability if the cellular link
goes up and down, since the VPN software might be able to shield the
layers above from this.

Still, other than for stuff deployed in the middle of the woods
hosting services over cell links definitely is pushing the reliability
factor...

--
Rich