Eric H. Johnson on 13 Apr 2017 11:00:34 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Wireless hotspot with inbound ssh/vpn

Bhaskar,

I am looking at trying to do something similar. In my case access a wifi hotspot as a backup for a problem "in the last mile". I think I can do it with a spare Cisco 321 WAP which I could land with a range extender having RJ45 ports (http://a.co/gBTPlYg for example). Output that to the existing firewall. Endian (http://www.endian.com/) firewall software works on minimal spare PC hardware with at least two NICs and supports VPN, etc. Then feed that to the existing network.

I would like to hear if there is a device that will combine the functions of the WAP and range extender with RJ45 ports into a single device.

One problem I have with Xfinity wifi, is that in my location, upload and download speeds from Xfinity are really horrible.

Regards,
Eric

I started work at a startup earlier this month. Although we will need a hard-wired Internet access before too long, I'm wondering if we need that to start with. Specifically, since our initial bandwidth needs are modest, I was looking at whether we could get by with a mobile hot-spot.The potential show-stopper is inbound ssh/vpn, which is a hard requirement. Are there any companies / hot-spots that provide inbound access? Or do I need to bite the bullet and call Comcast Business Service to get wired service?
I realize I can work around the limitation by using a machine in the cloud, and having a machine in the office establish a connection to that machine with something like ssh port forwarding to allow someone to connect to the cloud machine and then connect back to the office. But entering into a competition with Rube Goldberg at this stage in the company's existence seems a bit premature.
Thank you very much in advance.
Regards
-- Bhaskar