K.S. Bhaskar on 13 Apr 2017 12:49:26 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Wireless hotspot with inbound ssh/vpn

I think we can live with IPv6 as long as the cellular carrier permits inbound connections. Thanks!

Sent from my phone

On Apr 13, 2017 3:34 PM, "Rich Freeman" <r-plug@thefreemanclan.net> wrote:
On Thu, Apr 13, 2017 at 2:44 PM, K.S. Bhaskar <bhaskar@bhaskars.com> wrote:

> Eric, the problem without an easy solution is that wireless service
> providers block incoming connections to cellular hotspots.

You might even find that some providers assign IPv6 only to cell
phones.  I'm not sure which providers do this but I heard this was a
thing (since IPv6 addresses are easier to come by these days), and
largely transparent since the phones all support IPv6 and IPv6->IPv4
works fine in the outgoing direction only.  However, it would mean
that even if your provider didn't block incoming connections you'd
need to have IPv6 support from your ssh client since there would be no
IPv4 address to connect to.

I just did a quick test and indeed my android phone is being assigned
an IPv6 /64 only from T-Mobile.

--
Rich