artclemons on 22 Apr 2017 20:18:13 -0700

Re: [PLUG] I THINK MY PC ISSUES MAY BE SOMETHING OTHER THAN DISTRO RELATED

May I suggest first that you try booting from a flash drive or DVD with one of the live editions.  That's a cheap and easy test to carry out.  If it locks up still, you have hardware problems or reactions of the software to your hardware.  Live editions of Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, Linux Mint, and even Slackware have live editions that are suitable for testing.

Live editions have the downside of being slower to load but they do offer a chance to realistically test you, your computer and hardware.  Incidentally from your description I'ld suspect your video system but note I said "suspect".  -art clemons-

-----Original Message-----
From: Ronald P Guilmet <ronpguilmet@gmail.com>
To: Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
Sent: Sat, Apr 22, 2017 11:01 pm
Subject: [PLUG] I THINK MY PC ISSUES MAY BE SOMETHING OTHER THAN DISTRO RELATED

I have a Dell Inspiron N7010. From google, it appears that this laptop is ten years old. I replaced the HDD a few years ago. I've tried Ubuntu LTS and 16.10 with LXE Gnome Mate XFCE, I've also tried Fedora 25. Within a week if that, sometimes days, I will lose video, and I cannot recover it. Other times the whole screen just locks. I have mouse, but everything is unresponsive. Other times programs like gedit just crash, or I try to open the file manager, and it never opens but registers as unresposive when you try to log out. I've walked away to give some time to see if the issues resovles itself, and it doesn't. I have to hard restart every time. Frustration is an understatement.

Here is what I do on the laptop. I play with python, nodejs, etc stuff. What I don't need. I don't need music, video editing, or the like. I'm not sure how to play this out. If I had money, I'd run out, and by a new laptop. That's not an option at the moment. Any ideas?

--
Ron Guilmet