Robert on 22 Apr 2017 22:22:07 -0700

Re: [PLUG] I THINK MY PC ISSUES MAY BE SOMETHING OTHER THAN DISTRO RELATED

On 04/22/2017 11:00 PM, Ronald P Guilmet wrote:
> I have a Dell Inspiron N7010. From google, it appears that this laptop
> is ten years old. I replaced the HDD a few years ago. I've tried
> Ubuntu LTS and 16.10 with LXE Gnome Mate XFCE, I've also tried Fedora
> 25. Within a week if that, sometimes days, I will lose video, and I
> cannot recover it. Other times the whole screen just locks. I have
> mouse, but everything is unresponsive. Other times programs like gedit
> just crash, or I try to open the file manager, and it never opens but
> registers as unresposive when you try to log out. I've walked away to
> give some time to see if the issues resovles itself, and it doesn't. I
> have to hard restart every time. Frustration is an understatement.

I am in the process of replacing my desktop because it is 10yrs old.
What I have found out is the graphics card that is in the machine is no
longer supported by the drivers thus when I boot after upgrade the
screen goes blank and goes into suspended state.

> Here is what I do on the laptop. I play with python, nodejs, etc
> stuff. What I don't need. I don't need music, video editing, or the
> like. I'm not sure how to play this out. If I had money, I'd run out,
> and by a new laptop. That's not an option at the moment. Any ideas?

Maybe if you can downgrade the install graphic driver you might be able
to get a few more years out of it.

--

Regards
Robert